2552-12-05

Honda Ridgeline RTL


COPY EDITOR CYNTHIA L. OROSCO: I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed driving this truck, especially since I'm not a fan of big trucks--and because the look of this Ridgeline makes me think of a dog. Yes, the shape of the cab and the odd roofline that leads into the bed made me think of Clifford the Big Red Dog.

I liked the power and the heavy feel, which made me feel safe despite the rollover warning on my visor. I also liked that there was lots of room in the front and rear seats. In fact, I think you could fit a pull-out seat in the footwell of the passenger side. And there was no lack of cubby space for all items big and small.

But the dash-console setup was confusing. The odo-tach-gauge area looked basic and cheapish, while immediately to the right, the audio/navigation climate system was more hip. It's like a low-tech/high-tech split personality, and I didn't like it. But I loved how quickly the defrosters worked, and the heated seats were great. And the backup camera was much appreciated in this truck.


SENIOR EDITOR FOR NEWS BOB GRITZINGER: It's hard to argue with the simple practicality of the Ridgeline, which only seems to get better and smarter with age. Downsides remain that it is pricey for a unibody V6-powered truck, and one that only gets about 17 mpg. On the other hand, the trucks that fit this segment are few and are either smaller, like the Toyota Tacoma, or much bigger and heavier, like the Chevrolet Avalanche. If you want the compromise vehicle, and you're willing to compromise on load and towing to get it, the Ridgeline remains a singular value.


EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: Just a night in this made me miss our long-departed Ridgeline. Still not much on the looks, but it's hard to argue with the practicality of the beast. This 2009 model features such things as an updated dash with radio interface and heater controls, plus a backup camera. Very nice, and I can imagine trailer towers would love it.

I really like the versatility of the Ridgeline, with the lockable, weather-tight trunk in the truck bed, and the way the tailgate swings or drops. On the inside, you can flip up the rear seats and you have a ton of space, thanks to the flat floor.

The V6 is strong enough in this application, and I got more than 20 mpg on the highway, with 18.5 mpg overall. All things considered, this would be a pretty good choice for someone who needed a daily driver with some hauling capabilities. If you don't mind how it looks.


2009 Honda Ridgeline RTL

In Fleet: Oct. 27-Nov. 10

Base Price: $36,330

As-Tested Price: $37,174

Drivetrain: 3.5-liter V6; 4WD, five-speed automatic

Output: 250 hp @ 5,700 rpm, 247 lb-ft @ 4,300 rpm

Curb Weight: 4,564 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 17/18.1 mpg

Options: Fog lights ($346); XM satellite radio ($189); security system ($162); moonroof visor ($87); rear under-seat cargo tray ($60)

For more Car Reviews for new cars, trucks, SUVs, vans and crossovers, click here.



Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091203/CARREVIEWS/912039996#ixzz0YpxyfQI7

0 comments:

แสดงความคิดเห็น

BMW GINA Light Visionary Model: Premiere