2552-10-12

2009 Porsche Cayman S,


It's hard to bitch about a drive in any Porsche, but this Cayman somehow left me wanting for more. Don't get me wrong, the car is spectacular in many ways--steering, handling, styling, braking--but somehow, it falls just short of my expectations, especially at this sticker price. Start with the power, which is strong but runs out of punch before I expected, and it doesn't provide the same accompanying symphony as other Porsches, or what you'd hear in a Boxster S, top up or down. I kept looking for the Sport button, but it's not there in this model, so the engine always felt a little underwhelming compared with what I knew was possible.
The interior and comfort and convenience features also seemed lacking at this price, with what seems like little attention paid to the driver interface. The controls are there, but punching up the right button while concentrating on driving isn't as intuitive as one might like. Steering-wheel-mounted redundant buttons would help.
All that said, again, it's hard to complain about any Porsche. At the same time, when a company sets a high mark, it needs to meet or exceed it every time. This Cayman may not.
EDITORIAL ASSISTANT JONATHAN WONG: This is a stripper Cayman S, if you will. No adjustable PASM suspension, no sport button and no satellite radio here. While I missed the satellite radio and would have liked nailing the gas pedal with the Sport button, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Cayman. Really, can you say you had a bad time in a Porsche?
As Bob mentions above, the thrust from this new direct-injection H6 doesn't feel like it's a healthy 320 hp. For certain, it's a bit of a disappointment, which has the enthusiast in me banging my hands on the table demanding more power in this capable chassis. Of course, that could simply be solved on a Sport button-equipped vehicle.
The engine sitting midship is the main reason this car is so good. Sprinkle in the legendary Porsche brakes, ideal steering weight and response and a great gearbox, and you have one of the best driver's cars available today. However, I suggest checking off the option for the short shifter as the gear changes are a tad long for my liking.
Besides being a stellar back-road bomber, the Cayman isn't bad over the long haul. I jetted down to Mid-Ohio to catch a race and the combined seven hours I did in the car in one day didn't leave me sore. This speaks well for the standard, nonadjustable suspension that plays the dual roles of capable performer and comfortable traveler well.
This car will never win an all-out speed contest, and that's OK because it's not the point of this car. But if you're looking for an extremely capable sports car that has the right amount of power that won't too easily get in trouble on the streets and that will do well at an open track day, the Cayman S is ideal. You'll just have to be willing to pay up, which is something we know Porschephiles don't mind doing.
MOTORSPORTS EDITOR MAC MORRISON: The Cayman is one of the best driver's cars on the road, but I also felt that this car lacked power. This surprised me, as I don't recall feeling that way when driving older Caymans--especially S models--and with the new direct-injection engine boasting more horsepower than before, I expected a flat-out rocket ship. Instead, I found this to be a quick car, but not a stunningly fast one.
That's about my only complaint here, though some might find it to be a significant one. The upside, however, is that you can drive this car pretty hard and feel like you are getting a lot out of it without having to burn so far into the illegal speed zone that jail is right around the corner at all times.
I would like the Sport button too, just as Bob and Jonathan would. However, I'm liking this standard suspension (as opposed to the adjustable PASM suspension) more and more. I would have to back-to-back them on a track to really know for sure, but on the street, it feels as though the standard unit cuts a solid compromise between PASM's comfort and sport settings, which I often feel are either too soft or too stiff.
2009 Porsche Cayman S
In Fleet: July 31-Aug. 10
As-Tested Price: $68,215
Drivetrain: 3.4-liter H6; RWD, six-speed manual
Output: 320 hp @ 7,200 rpm, 273 lb-ft @ 4,750 rpm
Curb Weight: 2,976 lb
Fuel Economy: (EPA/AW) 22/19.6 mpg
Options: PCM 3.0 with navigation ($3,110); Bose high-end sound package ($990); self-dim mirrors, rain sensor ($690); Bluetooth ($695); automatic climate control ($550); heated front seats ($500); universal audio interface ($440); floor mats ($90)

0 comments:

แสดงความคิดเห็น

BMW GINA Light Visionary Model: Premiere