2552-10-12

2009 Subaru Tribeca Limited


EXECUTIVE EDITOR WES RAYNAL: After the Tribeca's 2008 restyle, it looks like it comes from Chrysler, which is a huge improvement over the old one that was Pontiac Aztekian in its ugliness.
The Tribeca drives well. It's quiet and it feels much lighter than its 4,250 pounds. That's nearly 1,000 pounds less than General Motors' crossovers and the Subaru is a more fun, more flingable ride as a result.
The power is decent and the transmission is mated well to this engine. For the most part, the interior is good though a few materials could use an upgrade for the price.
That price is quite ambitious, and I'm trying to be nice here. GM's crossovers start at roughly the same price, and the Toyota 4Runner, the Honda Pilot, the Hyundai Veracruz, the Jeep Commander, the Mazda CX-9, and the Toyota Highlander all start at less.
SENIOR EDITOR FOR NEWS BOB GRITZINGER: I agree that the styling redo helped the Tribeca immensely--it's not quite the odd duck it used to be--but there are still some things that just seem out of proportion. For me, it starts with the steering wheel, which seems oddly undersized for the task at hand. It works fine, but just seems like it ought to be larger in diameter and beefier to go along with the bigger SUV. That may also contribute to the steering feel, which isn't terribly linear at some speeds, but seems kind of clunky.
I also think this is pricey, but that may be tainted by the value Subaru seems to represent in its other models. I'm just not sure Subie needs to play in this segment; rather, it should focus on the great smaller stuff it does best.
MANAGING EDITOR ROGER HART: The Tribeca does seem an odd vehicle choice for Subaru. While I think most of Subie's offerings are of good value, especially the new Forester, I'm not sure I'd agree here. Yes, it has a third row, but the second and third rows are nearly useless for adults. There just isn't that much room in the thing. That's why the Tribeca weighs 1,000 pounds less than the GM crossovers--because it's smaller.
I like the engine but the transmission was having some issues finding the right gear. It would hold a gear a long time before deciding to upshift, and a couple of times, it hesitated on downshifts when I needed to pass.
Another annoyance was the steering wheel. It's too small for such a vehicle (but I just came out of the 300C SRT8 and that has a BIG wheel) and there is no telescoping column, so I couldn't get into a comfortable driving position. With the seat, which was supportive and comfortable, in the right position for my legs, the wheel was too close to the dash.
Yes, this edition of the Tribeca looks better than the old one. But all things considered, I'd take the Forester in the hopes that I didn't need to haul six little kids around.
MOTORSPORTS EDITOR MAC MORRISON: I'm in the minority, clearly, but I never minded the Tribeca's looks, including the original with its gaping snout of a front grille. So I certainly don't have a problem with the improved redesign.
I do have a problem with the nontelescoping steering wheel, which made it difficult for me to find an ideal seating position. I did not have a problem with the wheel's actual size, however.
The interior design is nice, especially the wraparound center stack on the dash. The Tribeca offers a smooth and comfortable ride, and the drivetrain provides performance on par with others in this class. But the lack of room compared with some of its competitors is difficult to look past. For my money, I may as well simply buy a Forester.
2009 Subaru Tribeca Limited
In Fleet: Jan. 19-Feb. 6
As-Tested Price: $37,081
Drivetrain: 3.6-liter H6; AWD, five-speed automatic
Output: 256 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 247 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm
Curb Weight: 4,250 lb
Fuel Economy: (EPA/AW) 18/17.1 mpg
Options: Convenience group including puddle lights, rear dome/reading lights ($314); floor mats ($60); cargo net ($47)

1 comments:

Olive Tree กล่าวว่า...

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

แสดงความคิดเห็น

BMW GINA Light Visionary Model: Premiere